There is a growing need for new homes in North Hertfordshire and the draft Local Plan sets a target of 15,950 to be delivered by 2031. Delivery of new homes is important to ensure people can move to the area and people can move within their community.
The site is allocated for residential development within the draft North Hertfordshire Local Plan. The Local Plan is due to be adopted later this year.
The local plan policy for this site requires that any development provides:
- Appropriate junction access arrangements to Bedford Road
- Sensitive integration into existing settlements, particularly in terms of design, building orientation and opportunities for cycle and pedestrian access
- Sensitive incorporation of Footpaths Ickleford 001 & 002 as a green route through and around the edge of the site
- No residential development within Flood Zone 2 or 3
- The incorporation of ordinary watercourses (and any appropriate measures) and address existing surface water flood risk issues within comprehensive green infrastructure and / or SUDS approach
- Development proposals to be informed by site-specific landscape and heritage assessment
- A development-free buffer along eastern edge of site to minimise harm to adjacent listed building
- An archaeological survey to be completed prior to development.
Contributions to local services
While the allocation is within North Hertfordshire, its near neighbours, Lower Stondon and Henlow, are in Central Bedfordshire. We recognise that residents on either side of the Hertfordshire/Bedfordshire boundary may be affected and we will ensure that funding is made available for the vital facilities that residents use on both sides - including almost £1m for education alone. The previous, larger application, saw contributions of:
- Expansion of Derwent Lower School - £322,008
- Expansion of Henlow Academy Middle School - £274,941
- Expansion of Samuel Whitbread or Etonbury Upper Schools - £292,409
- GP Core services - £815 per dwelling
- Community, Mental Health and Acute Services - £1,630 per dwelling.